Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Lesson on Clothing Items Turned PG-13...

This week, I am teaching my students items of clothing. Just the general t-shirt, jeans, shorts, shoes, etc. Easy, right? So, 2.c has worked its way up to become my absolute favorite class (aside from 1.b, OF COURSE)...but they are just a really fun and excited group of kids. I also love them because I have some girls in the class who I like to call my "groupies". They love me. Not kidding. They say it at least 10 times a day...each. They also tell me I'm beautiful every day, which just adds to their appeal. The day I brought in Easter candy, I even got a "You are plus, plus, plus beautiful, Hanna!" from one of them. Today, they made my lesson very interesting! As the kids were sitting and drawing pictures of each item and writing the name next to the picture, I asked them what other items of clothing they'd like to know the names of...we came up with things like sunglasses, tights, sandals, long-sleeved shirts...all simple and suitable for the minds of children to be thinking about. Then I looked over to see my groupies sitting in the corner giggling. I gave them a look, and they came up to me and whispered something Hungarian in my ear, then proceeded to giggle uncontrollably. I understood what they said, but still looked at them as if I was completely clueless. One of the boys noticed, and proceeded to make an "action", signifying a bra....this involved fake cupping and squeezing. Then the class proceeded to point at my chest. Of course, that led to all of the children cupping and laughing...then they wanted to know the word for underwear, and signified by pulling their own underwear up out of their pants to show me. Sheesh. Sheepishly, after having my rack pointed out to everyone, along with seeing about 20 pairs of underwear, I explained that today was not the day for undergarments...then directed them to ask the other English teacher instead...I had enough awkwardness for the day.

1 comment:

sara said...

oh my!!! i love the way you tell stories :)