Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My first run-in with the Hungarian "authorities"...

Let me begin this entry by saying this actually isn't my FIRST run in with the Hungarian "5-0"...Hilary and I both can attest to that. Let's just say that Hils and I tried to "defraud" the metro in Hungary and it left us with a stern talking-to by some grumpy Transportation Officials and minus $40 in our pockets. It was through the previous experience that I learned that the Hungarian officials in charge of checking tickets and passes on metros/buses/trams are not of high enough authority to say, throw you up against a car, handcuff you, and put you in jail. They do, however, enjoy hassling you and taking your money. They usually...USUALLY are only at the metros. They stand in their little blue suits with armbands, ready to fight crime! I have been living in my apartment for almost 2 weeks now, and have yet to see one of these people on the bus I take (multiple times a day, mind you) until...today. I love to go to Varosliget (City Park) and run in the afternoons. It is just a short 5 min. bus ride away. No need to take my phone, purse, etc. Just my watch, running shoes, and my IPOD. I have normally put my bus pass inside my IPOD case, JUST IN CASE I have a run-in. I usually figure that with my luck in life, the one day I left my pass at home, I would get checked on the bus...and of course, the ONE DAY I forgot to put my pass in my IPOD case, what do you know?! A friendly Transportation Offical greeted me in the middle of my ride. When she saw I didn't have my pass on me, she made me get off at the next stop. Of course, I had no money on me, and know only little Hungarian...so I figured I had a couple of choices: 1) I could sit all day and try aruguing with someone who couldn't understand me until she got sick of me or ACTUALLY called the police, or 2) kill two birds with one stone and get away from this lady while getting a nice jog in for the day. I couldn't help but lean toward my rebellious side, so yup, I just turned and ran (thank goodness I had my running shoes on!). I heard a yell and a car honk, but I dared not turn back. As I took the less exposed route through neighborhoods back to my flat, I couldn't help but let the wind blow in my hair and feel the satisfaction of rebelling against authority (sorry Mom and Dad!). Moral of the story: You CAN defraud the public transport in Budapest afterall! Oh, wait....I mean, ALWAYS be good and bring your metro pass. :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO proud of you! I'm simultaneously proud and cracking up. And I'm sure Bern would be, too.

I now feel vindicated about our first run in with the transport wenches.

Did you make a situationally-appropriate hand gesture behind you as you ran away? Next time (if there ever is a next time) I authorize you to run AND flip. For me :)

Love you - thanks for the story!

Jess said...

Oh my gosh hannie you are soooo naughty. The way you describe those nasty transport-rent-a-cops, I think I would have run too! Kudos!
love-jess

sara said...

ah what a fun story! i love you and your gutsyness :)

Kirsten said...

Balls!!!!! I love you and your blog. I can't wait to be in Budapest with you. I am drinking tea in my favorite coffee shop, contemplating our adventures (which I hope don't involve the said, 'authorities')
Love you brave one!
Kirsten

Unknown said...

Since everyone else's posts are condoning such a horrible action, I shall be forced to play your mother.....WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? OH yes, and then I shall play your friend and say, YOU GO GIRL:) hehehe. Just don't get arrested....I would like you to come home for Christmas!

Johanna Crock said...

the whole time i was reading your story i was sitting thinking to myself that I sure hope the rent-a-cop didn't make you give her your ipod as payment since you didn't have money on you... but alas.... you are a track star in the end... way to think on your feet!

CS said...

hanna!!! You're crazy! But I love your blog -keep it up!